7.31.2009

Thoughts Of A Hypocrite

I can’t help myself, I really can’t. My mind instinctively wanders to the more obvious questions of where all this, this, is leading to. What are we as a species doing with ourselves, with the planet we inhabit? What is the breaking point? When will we hit the Wall…the WALL??? My new job, the one that requires me to drive around all day consuming a very finite fossil fuel and helping to aid in the meltdown of that beautiful glacier sitting atop Mt. Baker, gives me much time for introspection.

Upon observing the daily goings on of the town I live in I have this reoccurring thought that I am witnessing the end of a culture…life as we know it in the first world (and in the United States in particular) is coming to an end of sorts. I'm not claiming nor subscribing to any fantastic “end of the world” scenarios, my ego is not large enough to allow for me to think that I can somehow predict the future.

And I know what you’re thinking. Every culture that came before us has, in one way or another, had some overarching “end of the world” myth. We are not alone in this thought.

The Wall I am thinking of isn’t in the form of a giant asteroid shattering the masses of land we exist on or anything like that. In fact, I think the planet will continue on without us the same way it always has.

Earth does not need us, it never has.

The Earth, and everything in it, is in fact not ours. If anything “belongs” to anything it would make more sense to say that we belong to the Earth, not the other way around.

For now, I am too exhausted to carry this thought any further. I’ll have to set it down here for now and pick it up later. If anyone reading this has anything they want to add by all means, add away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What do you believe about the end of the world? Your writing is profoundly beautiful but sad at the same time Corey. Look within and you will find the answers. You already have the answers. You just have to listen and let your heart guide you. Ride the waves, float with them. Let your soul rest.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home