8.01.2008

North To The Future

I spent the day, this day, bumming around Bellingham, drifting from street to street, floating into the library, walking past the now defunct cannery/Georgia Pacific paper mill that takes up a large portion of the downtown waterfront.

The pirate ships were due for a “mock” battle in Bellingham Bay sometime shortly after 6 and I wanted to see them with their sails up (earlier in the day Chris said they looked awesome with their square sails drawn taught by the wind). I looked out at the bay and saw nothing that looked like a pirate ship. But then again half the bay was obstructed by a large Horizon cargo liner.

Upon realizing that my position was not a prime spot to view the sailing from I proceeded to move a little further up the bay. But not before I helped green haired Casey and punked out Dooger push a rather large metal buoy over a series of driftwood logs. The purpose of this pushing had no explanation. The buoy was a challenge and I suppose me, Casey and Dooger were up for the challenge.

After more heaves than hos I can say with all confidence that we kicked that buoys ass!

Then I left and drove further down to the marina. I walked out onto the point and saw there, before my eyes, two wooden ships rigged with more sails than I have fingers sailing out slowly into the bay. And they were magnificent. I had been told one of the ships, The Lady Washington, was used in the Pirates Of The Caribbean movie.

It really felt as though I had been transported back 100 years. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to see entire harbors full of these tall mast boats. And the skill required in order too sail one of these behemoths, that is a staggering thought by itself.

I watched the sun backlight the sails then noticed another ship on the other side of the bay. The Alaska Ferry was making its nightly summer departure from the Fairhaven dock. A boat full of people all headed way north.

Thoughts of fishing and what it might be like came to mind. Looked at a statue built as a memorial to all the fishermen who had been lost at sea. Walked past crab pots and stacked bundles of fish netting. I then thought about how all of these things, the boats, the gulls, the traps and the nets were all very romantic images of what I thought fishing might be like.

I left thoughts of fishing on the pier and made my way back to the house I am staying in, the place I will call home for the next week or two.

Welcome to Bellingham.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home