9.19.2006

These Are The People In My Neighborhood

Today was one of those rare days when I happened to have my camera on me when some good photo opportunities came along. The thing is my camera is a Canon 20d, not exactly your pocket sized point and shoot. And because of it's size and weight (and not to mention value) I don't carry it with me unless I am on assignment.

So today, upon my return from a photo shoot downtown I decided to stop by one of my favorite eats in the U-district. Here is what I found.

Wajdi Alawar takes orders from the to-go window of Cedars, the Lebanese restaurant his brother owns, located in the heart of Seattleā€™s University District. He makes a mean falafel.

In 1986, 11 years after the beginning of the Lebanese Civil War, Wajdi left Lebanon and moved to America to help his brother run the restaurant. Wajdi recently returned from a trip to Lebanon just before the most recent outbreak of fighting with Israel.


I know only three things about this man. That his name is Matt, that he likes photographs and that he was quiet hungry. So I bought him some food, introduced myself and took his picture.

Here is Matt in all his glory.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as always, the pics look awesome

7:34 AM  
Blogger Pasha said...

man that picture of lebaneese guy is awesome!!! dude you rock!!!
Love your pictures
P

5:41 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

i think i would like to visit Lebanon someday. Thanks for the feedback. Pash, how is Kyrgyzstan?

10:41 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

the tatoo on his right arm (our left) looks like trogdor the burninator (see homestarrunner.com) isthat where the "see matt in all his glory"comes from? as in a refrence to "Trogdor, in all his majesty".... well.... you can plainly tell that tatoo is not a dragon.... but it looks like it....

5:35 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

ryan,

dude thats a really funny link you made with Matts tat looking like the Trogdor "S".

No, that wasn't the reference I was making but I'm glad you reminded me of that sketch.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home