2.10.2008

Looking For Change




Me: I wanted to tell you something before I got off the phone; this Friday I went to an Obama rally in Seattle.

Dad: I think he’s the Anti-Christ.

I pause before responding into the small cell phone receiver. It is in this pause that I realize where my political extremism might stem from. This is not the first time I have had this realization. It certainly will not be the last. I decide to ignore the statement my dad has just made for two reasons:

1. I know that my father is a wise man and as a result does not really believe this statement.

2. My dad is not only a Fox news junkie but also listens to certain talk radio hosts who tend to lean more toward a discourse of fear and hatred than one of rational thought.

It is because of this knowledge that I do not hold statements such as “I think he’s the Anti-Christ” against my father. This is not a notion he concocted on his own. It was fed to him in the same way that the liberal media feeds me everything I believe. At least that’s what people tell me.

Let it be known that my father is a good man and that I am in no way trying to discredit his goodness by relating this story to you. If you’re reading this dad know that I love you and am only writing this story for the entertainment value that is inherent in politics in general.

I went on to tell my father of how there were so many people at the arena they had to turn thousands away. I was one of nearly 18,000 who made it inside the arena, perched so high above everything that the speaking platform looked small enough to fold up and fit inside my pocket. Obama came out, after 2 hours of waiting, and delivered a tired sounding speech about hope and change. Something I suppose we all could use a little more of.

Tim, reformed southern and good friend of mine, and I left before Obama could finish. We were hungry. Hope and change would have to wait until after lunch.

As we walked from the crowded arena past the Space Needle and down wet streets I talked with Tim about the rally. I talked with him about how I was reluctant to believe much of anything that came from not only Obamas mouth but any politician in America. I told him that the distance between the promises made from that platform to the cold streets we walked down was rarely bridged by any politicians lofty promises of change.

And perhaps I am wrong in thinking that politicians should be the ones to help bring about change. Perhaps my expectation of them has been ill perceived.

Either way, I know that the only change I saw on the streets that day was scattered on the ground beneath a department store awning.

Or maybe there was something else changing and I was just too jaded to perceive of it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

well said sir.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Carlene said...

I am not sure I would know who to vote for if I was an American???? I had been impressed by some of what Obama was saying, until.....
Please tell me Obama doesn't really want Chuck Norris in his team!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Sierra and Ryan said...

First of all,I don't know if Chuck Norris would be so bad to have around. I mean, he can kick A LOT of ass.

Second, I was thinking about you the other day, Corey, when I heard something on the news about Obama being in Washington state. I'm glad you did make it in to see him. We had our primary here last week, which Obama won for the Dems. I think you are smart to be hesitant to trust any of those running for office. Not because I think any of them to be bad people, but the simple truth of it is that they're all human, just like the rest of us, and we all fuck things up. And though I think it is important for a leader to have the dream of change and to act upon it, so many of the things that need to be changed in this country are matters of the heart, and laws don't mean anything if the old feelings remain. But, we shall see...

6:26 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Blue Tree,

Thanks.

Carlene,

As you may know America is a country that loves to have endorsements from movie and music stars. We want our politicians to be backed by the likes of Chuck Norris or Jesse "The Body" Ventura. Hell, the governor of California is the same guy who made it big saying lines like "I'll be back" and shooting shotguns from moving motorcycles.

You get the point. Obama came out on stage in Seattle with some guy from Pearl Jam next to him. This was supposed to make Obama have more "appeal" among the younger voters.

So as a nation that is obsessed with entertainment it comes as no surprise that our elections should be just as entertaining as the films we watch, and at times (most times), just as ridiculous.

Sierra,

Well said.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Dude, I found out a little tid-bit that you might find interesting or not. You remember how we waited for 2 hours to see OB? I found out yesterday that since roughly 3000 people were turned away, Obama went outside to talk to them first since they couldn't get in. I thought that was an interesting gesture.
Made me rethink how I felt about the whole event.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Kemo__Sabe said...

Hey Corey,

Was turned on to your blog a while ago by my daughter. Apart from a brief glimpse (we actually shared a brief conversation), I haven't seen you since before you were a man. I won't try to catch up here, but thought I would relate a thought: Your apparent exasperation with 'the system' is something to which I can relate. When I was a young man (younger than you) it was a different time, but still, I was so disillusioned with the system that I did not involve myself. I felt politically helpless and subject to political 'que sera'. I'll spare you the details of how I shook that attitude, but I would like to encourage you that this political environment is the best you will ever find, flawed though it is. Hang in there and do not weary of the battle. Get or stay involved. Be informed and vote. If you ever find out any specifics of what OB stands for, let me know. 'Change' is not a very specific platform.

Later, Gator.

Kim

PS. I love your father.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Kim,

Did we live next door to each other some years ago?

Thanks for the encouragement.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Kemo__Sabe said...

Corey,

We were at 730 Hill Meadow Drive. I think you nearly burned Dacula down. Or did you blame that on Matt?! ;-}

Kim

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home