7.02.2008

Georgia In July

I want to write something but I want it to be beautiful and as full of life as I feel right now. Can that happen? I mean can that feeling of “fullness” be transferred from my being, through my fingers, onto this keyboard and into 1’s and 0’s for you the readers viewing pleasure?

Probably not. And to be honest, I'm just a little too lazy, a little too tired and a little too uninspired to write you something truly moving. I'm waiting for the axe to drop on the little digital clock so that it will change from 12:59 a.m. to 1:00. It’s important to write things at 1 a.m. It’s also important to be awake when many others sleep. At the very least it’s important to remain cognizant long after your mind has told you it’s time to close up shop.

I'm in Georgia right now. It’s not been nearly as hot as I had anticipated it being and I grateful for this. I know that it won’t last. The heat will come, it always does. It’s like there is this great furnace somewhere in the far southwestern part of Texas that fires itself up every summer and sends wave after undulating wave of heat billowing up and out across landscape until it eventually reaches Georgia where it lays everything bare with its unbearable heat. Only the cicadas survive the deluge.

Don’t ask me why I am in the South in July, the reasons are varied and confusing, it just seemed to be the right thing to do. So here I am, in the South during the summer waiting for the heat to absolve me of the guilty pleasures of the last three, count ‘em three, summers spent in the temperate climate that makes the Pacific Northwest a bearable place to live.

It’s now 1:10. That means I’ve been typing for over 11 minutes. My eyes are 11 minutes heavier with the promise of sleep. I think I’ll give in and allow my mind and body the much-needed rest it is in search of.

Guten nacht.

3 Comments:

Blogger elle indsay said...

Gute Nacht.

nouns are capitalized in german. not sure why good morning is "guten Morgen" and night is "gute Nacht" but anyway, that is the grammar.

/german grammar jerk


:D

4:05 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Oh, vielen Dank für die Beratung.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Your post about the evil heat reminds me of when Sam Elliott was giving his closing statements in the Big Lebowski: "It's good to know that there's someone like the Dude out there who's take'n er' easy for all us sinners." (quoted from memory so it might be off)

Call me son!

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home