12.17.2006

Money Tree

There, just beneath the rhododendron plant that sits in the box outside of the church, a glint of silver caught my eye. A quarter. Growing up I was one of those kids who would be on his stomach with a stick fishing change out from underneath coke machines. Often I would find enough change underneath the machine to buy a soda from within it. Even to this day I look in newspaper change returns with the hope of finding a quarter left behind by some harried businessman too busy to stop and take back what he had put in.

The quarter was only one of 30 I found as my hands dug into the cool, moist earth beneath its rich branches. I don’t know why there were quarters buried beneath this plant but I would like to believe some child had planted a quarter there some years back. Maybe he planted the quarter after hearing his father say something like, “what do you think, money grows on trees?” in hopes that if he invested this quarter in the ground money would grow on trees, or even perhaps beneath it.

So I reaped the benefits sown by an imaginative child many years ago. I used most of the mud stained change today to feed the washer and dryer at the Laundromat. I guess you could say I took someone’s hopes and dreams and washed my clothing with them.

For those of you who have always wondered what a “money tree” looks like, wonder no more. Here is a picture of one.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

that's amazing. i want laundry money.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard of a silly belief that if you put some money under certian plants, you will have more income. I know one plant that is even called 'money tree'. Personally think income depends on the amount work and effort, and sometimes chance, but not 'money trees'. :))
Now you'll look under every tree :))

Smile.
Lilly

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a pretty sweet story. I love finding money!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,
Your story piqued my curiosity, so I did a little googling, and found out that believers in Feng Shui plant 3 (or multiples of 3) coins in one of their household plants. It's supposed to increase their income.

However, if you remove the coins, then a thousand curses are put on you......Just kidding! Har Har!

Just wondering: were all the quarters heads up?

So, when are you coming to Georgia? It's been incredibly warm here lately (70+ degrees F).

8:49 AM  
Blogger jacqui said...

i like that pic of the tree, there's something cool about the green against brick and cement ...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Commenters,

No, the quarters were not all heads up (at least they werent when i pulled them from their earthen grave).

Mike, i am in town (GA) from the 19th through the 29th.

Jacqui, yeah, the bush turned out looking cooler than i thought it would (i mean, it is only a bush after all).

9:54 PM  
Blogger Pasha said...

I have a few quarters too, but I didnt find them under the tree.
I really like your story, you are truly good storyteller.
Love ya

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

corey, dont let these people fool you, clearly angelice spirits, saw it fit to enact their karmatric powers and return to you the bounty you put into my account this month.... yes yes, i have been in byron for way too long..

..dont worry on january 22nd that will be amended.

hope you are fabulous, will call you soon have a merry christmas, and im pretty sure you should skip school, fail all your classes and wait around until i get back, and on top of that, move back to Georgia.

love ya,
destiny

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home