10.14.2007

Family Passage

Yesterday I arrived in a place where some years ago a part of my story began. Not so much my individual story, but the story of my family and their journey across the sea. The story of my great grandfather and the land he left behind. A land of rock and wind, mountain and sea.

I stood in a field hemmed in by stone fences and wondered if his hands placed these rocks i now leaned upon. My eyes gazed out over pastures and hills to the distant ocean and the waves beating upon its shores.

The camera captured barn and house and the land that held them there. But the camera couldn't tell the stories of those who had lived amongst them, lived off of them, and lived at the mercy of them. This was a rugged wind whipped landscape, but wildly beautiful as well.

This was the place we once called home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home