2.26.2008

If You Can't Handle Raw Honesty Don't Read This.

I’ve got a lot to say but words fall short of expressing what I need to say. Today its darkness. Today I see death, hear death, am surrounded by death.

A country of death built upon the deaths of others.

Renee breaths some of what may well be her last breathes upon this earth. I don’t know how to say goodbye. I'm terrible with goodbyes. You would think after a lifetime of goodbyes that I would have acquired some skill in this area of farewells.

I haven’t.

Today Tim will stand on the well manicured lawn at the University of Washington and read from a list of over 3000 people lynched “throughout the American South between 1882 and 1930, for offenses ranging from rape and murder to foul language or treating whites disrespectfully. The vast majority of lynch victims were African American men.”

How can we as a nation begin to move forward into healing from the atrocities of the past if we do not first acknowledge that the atrocities happened?

We are a sad proud race. We don’t know where we are going because we do not know where we have come from.

But don’t listen to me. I am a melancholy, depressed, pessimist who only sees darkness where others see light. I am an over sensitive soul who doesn’t know how to cope with the realities of life on planet earth.

Realities like war and injustice, poverty and famine.

Come on Corey, get a grip! Right? Isn’t that all I need to do? Get a grip? Stop focusing on the bad, the negative? My life is good, right? I'm healthy, loved by many and hated by none (well, maybe one or two). Shouldn’t this be enough?

No, today it’s not enough.

Damn you life, damn you death.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stu Bish said...

I hear you on the goodbyes bit.

11:25 AM  
Blogger elle indsay said...

of course it's not enough! i keep getting comments like that, too - to stop noticing injustices and inequity, to avoid feeling miserable about a world i can't change. but i refuse to believe i have no power to change. to see the world like that is to live only as a lone individual, to care nothing of the struggles of those around you. to be completely isolated. no thank you.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

The solidarity is much appreciated, elle.

i notice that on my more incisive and biting posts i have very few comments. interesting.

thanks for speaking up.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home