1.24.2007

The Long Night Journey

A journey is in the making (or perhaps more properly phrased “has been in the making for quite a long while”).

Today, yes just today I realized that this society puts a huge amount of strain on its people to fulfill spoken and unspoken expectations. Through a sociology class I'm taking and my own deductions I am beginning to realize that this so called “free” society I live within isn’t really free at all. Sure I’m free to decide upon this or that, but the consequences for going against what is expected of you in this society are so great that most people never take that first step to begin exploring the world outside of what they have been handed.

It has been brought to my attention that I live my life under the weight of obligation more than I would like to admit. For years I have believed myself to be a “unique and beautiful snowflake” to quote the words of Tyler Durden. Truth be told, I am not nearly as unique as I have thought myself to be.

And so that brings me to the journey. I will be setting out, mentally and physically, on a voyage. To borrow a metaphor from the bible (and Thomas Moore), I will be setting out on a long night journey in the belly of a whale.

It's ok if none of this makes sense to you, it's not supposed to.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're going to live like a homeless person for a night?
Just a guess.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

anonymous,

i like to know who i am talking to on this blog, i'm sure you're someone i know, but a name would be great.

thanks, corey

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Corey. I hurriedly posted that messsage and must've forgotten to put my name on it.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

oh, hey mike!

no, this journey doesnt involve me on the street for a night. more details of the journey will be coming about in the next month or so.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Nate Myers said...

That second paragraph is tremendous in your playing with the term "freedom," Corey.

On another note, how did you widen the body of your blog beyond the original parameters? You've extended the left border much further out, right? You can tell the difference between yours and mine pretty readily. I'd like to have the width of yours, without destroying my template in the process.

6:11 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

sounds more like an adventure.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home