2.20.2007

A Life Of Questions

This blog has, in the last couple of months, become a very insufficient place for me to express and convey what is happening in my life. More and more I see myself as a stranger in a strange land. The politics, policies, and parameters of this nation have caused me to question the country I was born into. No doubt living in Seattle has helped to feed my naturally questioning nature, and I am very grateful to everyone in this place who has helped to open my eyes to the world around me. Lately it’s been a feeling akin to being born, again.

I will be leaving Seattle at the end of March to spend some time in solitude. I will be reading books, thinking, theorizing, and meditating on the inner workings of my life in an attempt to better understand my place in a society that rarely stops to think about why it does what it does.

In this hyper capitalist nation people are stripped of their humanity and valued not for who they are but for what they can do; what they can produce. I am not a machine and I will not live like one. I have hopes and dreams and visions, things that machines will never have and governments will never be able to contain. I have a mind and I intend to not live mindlessly.

Years ago my ancestors came to this land in search of something. Did they find what they were looking for? Does what they came seeking still exist in this place? Does this nation, in its practices and decisions, embody that which I believe?

Is America a place that lives out in action and deed the following statement, “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness…That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government…” ?

10 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Can Al and I visit?

7:01 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

the end of march is pretty soon corey

6:48 PM  
Blogger Mr. Westbrooks Blog said...

man i miss this guy...
where are corey hau?

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mr. Westbrooks Blog said...

YOU, where are YOU is what i meant to say....

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mr. Westbrooks Blog said...

love ya dude

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

hey Cor, Canada is waiting, ready to receive ya at any time. you might want to bring a couple sweaters.

I was hoping you'd still be up for a run down to portland with me in march, that still an opition? and you better not try and still my passport.

12:09 PM  
Blogger michael said...

sir, im thinking of you. i hope you are well. lets make art!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Carlene said...

Hi Corey,

Sometimes when I read your Blog I find it hard to post a comment... The things you say come from a place so deep that although I want to tell you that I hear what your saying, I don't want to offer some shallow platitude. Just be careful being alone - you have some good friends who share your angst. Don't pull away from them for too long.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Ryan,

Portland wont be happening. I just have far too much to get done before i leave in March. Thanks for the invite to Canada. I wont steal your passport.

Carlene,

Thank you for your honesty. I love the people in my life and i appreciate the reminder that i need to hold on to those relationships.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

no worries,

see ya again someday anyway.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home