3.08.2007

An Excerpt

I wrote this down a few months back. Thought you might like it.

Home, as far as I remember it was made up of trees, red earth, and rain.
Sometimes barren and twiggy, sometimes full of leaves that sang when the wind blew rain in from the Gulf of Mexico. Cicades played in full chorus as the rains subsided. I lived in the South for 15 years but I never felt like a Southerner. As I quickly came to understand a large part of being a Southerner meant you had family that went back at least a few generations, maybe even as far back as being able to claim that this relative or that was in the Civil War, at this battle or that. My family moved to Lawrenceville, Georgia in the summer of 1989. My dad had been working in Denver as a truck driver for Pepsi Cola, winding his way through the Rockies, delivering bottles of caffeinated corn syrup to mountain towns along his route...

Just a small part of the story I call life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

i like hearing about different homes. home is a concept that i think about a lot lately.

i can't remember the snake with his head in a balloon, and now i want to see that movie again. my brothers and i used to watch it all the time.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

looking forward to chapter 2.

10:11 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

did you get free pepsi?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

I do remember my father bringing home various types of Pepsi products so yes, i think we did get free Pepsi.

And to this very day my family refuses to drink Coke products. Even after living in the "land of Coke" (Coca-Colas headquarters are in Atlanta) for nearly 20 years they still wont drink the stuff.

Ryan,

Glad you liked the story. I dont know when there will be a part 2.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home